What’s the qualification to be a Volunteer?
There is no entry requirement to volunteering. As long as you have a loving heart and a pair of willing hands, you qualify as Willing Hearts volunteer!
What can I do as a volunteer?
As a Soup Kitchen, we basically prepare and cook and then pack the meals in Styrofoam boxes. No experience is required as instructions and guidance will be provided by our more experienced volunteers.
- Volunteers would prepare the food ingredients by washing and then cutting – vegetables or meat or other ingredients. (Some food items are cut and then washed – such as certain kinds of vegetables or meat items).
- Other volunteers with the appropriate skills set would cook the prepared ingredients, following which, the cooked food will be packed in styrofoam boxes. These would then be packed into baskets or plastic carrier bags for delivery to the various distribution centers located across the Singapore island.
- Volunteers who have their own vehicles may offer to help deliver these packed meals. Those with valid Singapore driving licenses may also use one of Willing Hearts’ 6 x delivery vans.
- Volunteers are also required to help in the picking up (from doners and other suppliers) and delivery to our location (either to our Main Office or our Soup Kitchen) of food items (such as eggs and vegetables; basic staples like sugar and rice; and meat or seafood) or other supplies.
- After the day’s cooking is done, we need a team of volunteers to help clean up the kitchen in preparation for the next day.
How else can I help?
These are some other ways you can help:
- As Willing Hearts relies largely on donations from individuals, food companies and other charitable organizations, we are looking to build a team of volunteers to help promote our cause and services.
- Volunteers who have good network – especially with the food industry and the foundations or large corporations – can assist Willing Hearts in this area.
- Volunteers with skills in Web-design and Programming are needed to help maintain our internet updates and information dissemination.
How do I start to volunteer?
Our Soup Kitchen operates daily from 6:00am to 4:00pm and is located at:
11 Jalan Ubi Blk 6, #01-51
Kembangan – Chai Chee Community Hub
Unless you have a big group, you need not inform us in advance of your visit. We do not have a regular roster for our volunteers so you have the flexibility of helping on the day and at a time of your convenience.